The library's mission is to serve the academic needs of UC Merced's students, faculty, and staff. These needs generally fall into three categories: services, resources, and space.
- Meet with a librarian to get help researching your topic for an assignment or class.
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request books, articles, etc. from other libraries.
- Get library or research questions answered by a library student assistant wearing the red shirt with the "i".
- Take the Library Video Tour for an independent virtual tour.
- Check out books and DVDs at the 2nd floor services desk.
- Check out a variety of items for use in the library, like ethernet cables, flash drives, and portable whiteboards.
- Surf the internet wirelessly throughout the library.
- Most of our books are online, but our 100,000+ print books are shelved on the 2nd through 4th floors.
- Popular Blockbuster-type DVDs are on the 3rd floor. Documentaries or other academic DVDs are shelved with books on the same subject.
- Current issues of popular magazines (Scientific American, Sports Illustrated, The Economist, etc.) live in the green-carpeted room KL 355 (not on the shelves with books and DVDs). Older issues can be found online.
- Access a plethora of information databases. Some are large, multidisciplinary databases; others are more focused e.g. video databases or psychology databases. Use the VPN to access the databases from off campus.
- Use RefWorks to organize your research and create bibliographies.
- Reserve a collaborative work room to study with a group or a meeting room to meet with your student club.
- Study quietly in KL 460 or the McFadden-Willis Reading Room. 4th floor map
- Socialize with friends in the Lantern (library first floor). When the weather is nice, we open the glass-paneled garage doors to convert the area into an indoor/outdoor space. 1st floor map